The Episcopal church in Manistee formally dates from 1869, when articles of agreement for a proposed parish were signed. Services were held in private homes under the lay leadership of parishioners for a number of years. The congregation was visited regularly by a church missionary from 1872 until 1881, when the first resident priest arrived.
The cornerstone for the Church of the Holy Trinity was laid in October 1888 and first services were held in the church on December 16, 1888.
A disastrous fire swept through the church in 1909, destroying the interior. Repairs were accomplished quickly and six months later the church had been repaired and consecrated. The beautiful woodwork of the ceiling dates from this renovation and was the work of a local carpenter. In 1916 the basement of the church was finished for practical use for the first time and was consecrated as the Guild Room.
In the fall of 1929 faulty wiring in the organ caused another fire in the church. This fire damaged the organ, the chancel, the chapel and the Guild Room. The repairs, completed by Christmas of 1929, included a rebuilt basement, a new front vestibule for the church and a new pipe organ.
In the 1960s, the church needed more space and purchased a historic house immediately east of the rectory to be used for office and Sunday School space.
In the late 70s, the 22-rank organ underwent an extensive, 2 year, renovation. Some portions of the instrument are from rare and early organs and are irreplaceable today. According to music experts, Holy Trinity’s organ is considered one of the finest in the area.
Extensive renovations in the lower level of the building were completed in the 1990s. The nursery, kitchen and bathrooms were upgraded and remodeled. The Guild Room, redesigned and redecorated, was reconsecrated as the Parish Hall in 1996.
In 1997 a memorial garden was established adjacent to the church. The beautifully planted garden provides an area for the repose of cremated remains while offering a lovely place for meditation and contemplation.
Holy Trinity was placed on the Michigan Register of Historic Sites in 1981. It is the oldest building in Manistee regularly used by an active congregation, having been completed just a few months before the Congregational Church and Guardian Angel Catholic Church.